We are looking for a flexible, intelligent apprentice mechanic to join us and learn on the job, and subsequently take on the full responsibilities of a senior mechanic.
About the Job:
This is a full- or part-time, hourly apprentice mechanic position, in Brooklyn, Wisconsin, in the greater Madison area. You will work closely with our senior mechanic and other staff, performing a wide variety of tasks involving mechanical work on Mercedes-Benz automobiles, as well as supplementary tasks involving maintenance, body repair, and paint work on Mercedes-Benz vehicles. This experience will go towards advancement as a senior mechanic.
If you are the right person for this job, you will be a well-organized and responsible individual who enjoys learning new things and takes instruction well. Regardless of your experience level, this is a very specialized position to which not all your skills will transfer, so a degree of humility is essential.
About the Shop:
We are a small independent Mercedes-Benz shop that has been in continuous operation since 1975, located in a rustic former factory complex in beautiful small town Wisconsin, only 15 miles from Madison. Our customers include local owners of Mercedes-Benz cars that require routine maintenance and repairs, as well as owners of rare and significant cars who come to us from around the country for complex, longer-term mechanical upgrade and restoration projects requiring a high degree of expertise.
We specialize in Type 300 Mercedes models, including the 300SL Gullwing and Roadster. We employ techniques taught to Mercedes-Benz factory trained mechanics of the 1950s and 1960s, relying primarily on hand tools, and utilizing jack stands instead of hoists or pits. Our large library of official service guides, teaching materials, and parts manuals provide an excellent opportunity for technical learning.
A typical day will include work on both short term and long term projects. All tasks are tracked to the minute, and time cards must be annotated with details sufficient for customer billing.
Our work environment is unique and rewarding, compared to an institutional or corporate environment.
- Competitive pay, based on experience
- Small business environment
- Non-flat rate
- Company tools
- Specialized training
- Flexible hours
You must take pleasure in learning: this is a job which must be learned by doing, and every day will pose different challenges and opportunities.
- Some experience as a motor vehicle mechanic, and interest in developing these skills to a professional level.
- One or more employment references as well as a personal reference.
- Some understanding of the operation of gasoline and diesel engines (timing, fuel delivery and mixture formation, ignition, lubrication, etc.), manual and automatic transmissions, electrical systems, differential gearing, and brake systems.
- Punctuality and dependability.
- Solid verbal and written English language skills.
- Good organizational abilities.
- The ability to work through challenges, share responsibility for both successes and setbacks, take constructive criticism, and remain calm under stress.
- Interest in ongoing employment past the apprentice phase, with corresponding increase in responsibilities and compensation.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation with the ability to run shop-related errands, with mileage reimbursement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
You should be capable of performing these tasks with precision, accuracy, and good judgment, to meet the needs of our customers and to maintain and advance the standards of our firm.
- Take instruction from senior staff accurately and patiently.
- Work independently to bring familiar tasks to completion.
- Utilize reference materials to understand unfamiliar tasks.
- Ask questions where applicable.
- Learn to employ factory-approved tools and techniques to accomplish service jobs.
- Use and understand the metric system.
- Respect the historical, mechanical, and cosmetic integrity of customer vehicles.
- Keep a detailed and legible record of all service tasks performed, using internal codes and terminology.
- Communicate clearly and regularly with coworkers regarding progress, questions, and concerns.
- Research service jobs and parts requirements using a variety of sources, including electronic resources and printed manuals in English and German. (Knowledge of the German language is not necessary, but willingness to use translation resources is a must).
- Assist parts department in disassembling, assembling, cleaning, and preparing items for sale and inventory.
- Represent our firm with professionalism in all cases.
Health and Safety
Our shop is located in a historic factory complex, and we do not have hoists or pits. All lifting is performed using floor jacks and jack stands. In addition, we do not have air conditioning. While we are too small a firm to offer health insurance, we will assist any hire in obtaining individual coverage.
- You must be able to perform frequent bending, light and heavy lifting, and regular manual and power tool use in a non-climate controlled environment.
- You must have a valid COVID-19 vaccination.
Any interest in classic automobiles you possess will be cultivated and rewarded, as we are one of the few firms in the world trusted to work on the most important of post-war Mercedes-Benz models.
We are a progressive and welcoming employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race or ethnicity, marital or family status, or sexual orientation. Women, minorities and members of other protected classes are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are interested and would like more information, please contact us by telephone, at (608) 455-7441, or via the contact form on our website. Thank you very much.